Search This Blog

Sunday, October 4, 2009

our people

Reg and I have this phrase we use whenever we meet new people, they either are, or are not "our people." It's hard to define this further, even we cant categorize, but we just know what it means. basically, if you are "our people," we think/feel that you share our values, goals, lifestyle, etc.
For example:
fan of Ira Glass? our people.
rush limbaugh and his ilk? not our people :-)

We were thrilled this week to be invited to a proper dinner party by people that we don't know! Neighbors of our good friends (all HP residents, of course!) extended an invitation to us via our friends, to attend a dinner party at their house with another couple.
I, of course, had to wear a dinner party costume to set the stage (navy blue short-sleeved boxy-jacket, skinny jeans, gray platform pumps, pearls)!
We arrived, wine and brie in hand, and were so warmly welcomed with hot food (manicotti! salad! chocolate!), drink (pinot! microbrews!), and excellent conversation. There is something about reaching a point in your life where sitting around a table in a warm home with a group of people with similar viewpoints from diverse backgrounds, is the ultimate in weekend fun. It is so refreshing!
We talked about movies, music, politics, religion, lifestyle. We sat around that table for over 4 hours, as if we had been friends for years. It was intellectually, gastronomically, and emotionally stimulating. It was how it should be. I would choose a night like that over a bar, club, "night out", any day.
They were "our people".
And when Reg and I finally meandered home, we were full of recaps from the night, and planning the next get together (our house- trick-or-treat night!).
I love this neighborhood, and I love this city. It has taken a few years to get there, but I am finally at a point where I feel so fulfilled. Not stagnant, but content.

And now, I will wrap this up so I can pull on some sweats and old sneaks to attempt to stay alive for sunday morning football in Schenley Park, with more of "our people."
Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Love the blog. And next time we see each other face to face, I'll show you the various hand signals Valecia and I have for "our people," and "not our people," for public/crowds/restaurants/parties, etc. We've developed quite a lexicon.

    ReplyDelete